I've been very busy the last couple of months. Started a new project at Philips, started writing on D3.js for Packt, and besides that participating in two startups. So time to update this blog has been limited. While thinking about how to best present the voronoi feature of D3.js, I ran across an example where they used the result of a single voronoi partitioning as an input for another. So you'd get a nested set of voronois. This actually looked really nice, so I set out to do that myself, so I could use that example in the book as well.
The results look really nice (at least I think so):
By changing the color interpolation, you get really interesting alternatives:
I've uploaded the code to blocks, so you can experiment with it yourself here: https://bl.ocks.org/josdirksen/806e33c678753cd5133c1d40d73e8360
A couple of samples with different color schemes are shown below: